Sunday, March 16, 2014

Nostalgia and Beef Patties

I have been feeling a little homesick lately.  I grew up in NYC.  My friends and family are still there and I am out in the boonies in Indiana pretty much alone.  I have my children and husband but that's about it.  I feel really out of place here.  It's been almost 14 years and I still feel like an outsider.  I'm just too stubborn to change everything about myself to conform to the small town way of life. Even knowing it's my fault I am unwilling to lose everything about myself to fit in, it still gets to me sometimes. 

Anyway, I've been stuck in my thoughts of home lately and being pregnant, I focused on old cravings.  Jamaican Beef Patties....  I used to have one a few times a week.  There was a corner restaurant on Tremont Avenue in the Bronx which sold many yummy things but Jamaican beef patties were my favorite.  Of course, there is no where around here to get one.  I haven't had one in over 15 years.  I awoke at 4am the other morning with a huge craving for one.  So I looked up a recipe, ran out to the grocery store and made some.

It was my first time making any kind of dough too.  I was quite pleased.  It felt really good cooking again.  I haven't done much except throw something processed into the oven in months.  I hope this means I will do more cooking at home.  I think the next recipe I will search for are Munchers.  It's another fatty snack from the same restaurant.  The closest thing I've found were cheesy tots from Burger King a few years ago.  The ones I remember also had jalapeno peppers.  Fun, fun, I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment